Please help us protect and maintain the Garden for all of our many visitors by observing the following:
FOR THE ENJOYMENT OF ALL
- Stay on pathways and mowed lawn areas. Do not walk in mulched or planted garden beds.
- Please leave flowers and plants for everyone to enjoy. Do not collect or remove seeds, flowers, fruits and vegetables, plant labels, etc.
- No music.
- No soliciting. View the Garden’s Solicitation Policy.
- For visitor, individual or family photography, please refer to our Photography Policy.
- Wedding and bridal parties must abide by the rules and guidelines outlined in the Wedding and Bridal Photo Policy.
- Photos and videos are not to be sold or used for any commercial purposes without advanced project review and authorization; projects will be approved on a case-by-case basis and will occasion fees. Contact the Public Relations Department at (314) 577-0254 or (314) 577-5286. View the Photography Policy.
- If a visitor is asked by another person not to take pictures of that person or others accompanying that person, the request must be honored to protect personal rights of privacy. If a picture has already been taken, it must be deleted upon request.
ATTIRE AND CLOTHING CHANGES
- Shirts and shoes are required at all times.
- In respect to all Garden visitors, patrons wearing articles of clothing that may be taken as profane, vulgar, racial, sexist, or sexually suggestive, including slogans/illustrations, may be asked to change clothing before entering the Garden.
- Clothing changes (including those for photography shoots) are not permitted inside or outdoors. To inquire about space rental for clothing changes, call (314) 577-9560.
- Clothing changes for small children connected to activities at the Garden or Children's Garden are permitted only in public restroom stalls.
WILDLIFE AND ANIMALS
- No pets allowed, please. Assistance animals are welcome at the Missouri Botanical Garden. Please review these guidelines to help you enjoy your visit with your assistance animal.
- Do not feed or handle the wildlife. It can be harmful to them - and you.
Light collapsible chairs or stools (no lawn chairs) are permitted for artists at work. Please position chairs in a grassy area or large paved area so walkways remain clear. Do not enter planted or mulched beds. Watercolor artists, please dispose of waste water carefully in sinks; do not dispose on walkways, benches rocks, plants or garden areas, as they can become discolored.
- Collapsible lawn chairs, stools and blankets are only permitted in conjunction with event performances at the Cohen Amphitheater.
SMOKING AND LITTER
- The Garden is a tobacco-free environment. Smoking and tobacco products and devices are not allowed on Garden property, including all buildings, grounds, restrooms and parking lots.
- We care about the environment. Please dispose of waste in recycle bins when appropriate. Do not litter.
- Picnicking is not allowed anywhere on Garden property (exception: Whitaker Music Festival). Please no outside food, picnics, coolers, grills, or open flames. Visitors who wish to picnic may do so nearby in Tower Grove Park, south of the Garden.
- The Garden provides many benches throughout the grounds for resting. Please refrain from lying down on benches, so that other visitors may have a seat. Laying blankets on the grass is permitted for Garden performances only.
- No outside alcohol.
MEETINGS AND GATHERINGS
- Formal/informal groups or parties are not allowed to hold meetings, weddings, memorial services or christenings at the Garden without advance space rental. Visit Rentals for more information or call (314) 577-0200 (weddings and events requiring food) or (314) 577-9560 (space rental without food).
Non-school classes led by an instructor not affiliated with the Missouri Botanical Garden are not permitted. This applies to both for-profit and not-for-profit classes. Call (314) 577-9473 x 6565 for more information. All school-based groups (including colleges and universities) wishing to hold either a Garden-led or self-guided class must register with the Garden in advance of their visit by completing the online request form
or call (314) 577-5140. To ensure a quality experience for all visitors, we have established a maximum number of group admissions per hour per day. Early registration will help us reserve your preferred arrival time
- Do not wade or swim in ponds, streams or fountains.
- Please keep your personal items with you at all times. The Garden cannot be held responsible for missing items. If you recover an item on the grounds that does not belong to you, please turn it in to the Ridgway Visitor Center Lost & Found at the ticket counter. To reach the Lost & Found desk, call (314) 577-0212.
- For their safety, please supervise children at all times. One adult should accompany every five children.
- No climbing, running, sports, or games.
- Two-wheeled scooters, “wheelie” shoes, skates or skateboards are not allowed.
- Weapons and firearms are not permitted at the Missouri Botanical Garden, Sophia M. Sachs Butterfly House or Shaw Nature Reserve.
The Missouri Botanical Garden values the visitor experience. In order to provide a distraction-free environment for our guests, we do not allow solicitation or petitioning of any kind from any outside, non-sanctioned entity on Garden property, regardless of the organization or cause being represented. This includes, but is not limited to, the circulation or distribution of literature, brochures, handbills, leaflets, signage, pamphlets, notices, cards, advertising, promotional items, petitions, registrations, etc. Informational tables and booths are not permitted.
Garden property includes the grounds, buildings, parking lots and other facilities. Anyone not in compliance with this policy will be asked to leave the premises.
The rights of other visitors to enjoy the Garden must always be respected. The Garden reserves the right to ask a visitor to leave for inappropriate or offensive behavior. Visitors will be held liable for any damage to Garden property.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.