In 1895, the Cleveland Avenue Gatehouse, now named the Herring House, was constructed in accordance with Henry Shaw’s will to be a residence for the Garden’s groundskeeper. This year, thanks to a generous gift from Laura and Mike Herring and their daughter, Lauren Herring, the house was completely renovated so it can be used as private event space for small events and other gatherings.
Consistent with the Garden’s commitment to sustainability, upgrades to the Herring House incorporated many green features including a ground source heat pump that will provide 30-60% operating costs savings compared to conventional heating and cooling systems. Three geothermal wells, each 350 feet deep, take advantage of the moderate temperatures in the ground to boost efficiency, using the earth as a heat source in the winter or a heat sink in the summer. LED lighting, efficient windows, and improved insulation will also add to operational savings as well as occupant comfort.
The surrounding new landscape design was inspired by influential British horticulturist Gertrude Jekyll. The rear garden will be known as “Lauren’s Secret Garden” where the peak bloom season will occur in the summer. Construction will be completed by the end of summer, and the space will be furnished and operational at the end of 2017.
The Garden is committed to designing, constructing and operating all Garden facilities in compliance with LEED™ green building standards. To learn more about Sustainability in Action: Built Environment at the Garden click here.