While adhering to our COVID-19 safety policies, as of March 15th, 2022, we are able to host small groups for overnights.
Come spend a night at Shaw Nature Reserve’s environmental learning campus, the Dana Brown Overnight Center (DBOC)! DBOC programs provide schools with unique opportunities to extend classroom learning while fostering awe, wonder, and curiosity for the natural world.
The DBOC campus consists of six historic log buildings dating back to the 1800s. Originally located within 100 miles of the Nature Reserve, in 2003 these historic structures were carefully dismantled, transported, and reconstructed to create the DBOC campus. With modern updates, the buildings were transformed into comfortable and unique learning and living spaces for visiting groups.
The DBOC campus is able to accommodate students grades 4–12 for overnight experiences. (DBOC classes are also available on a day-use basis for grades 4–12.)
- All DBOC classes are hands-on, inquiry-based, and focus on students’ direct engagement with nature.
- Classes are grade-level appropriate and support current Missouri Learning Standards.
- Depending on grade level, group size, weather, and other factors, specific activities may vary for each class offering.
- The DBOC requires a 10:1 student: chaperone ratio for all classes.
- Class fees are $5/student with a $50 minimum.
- Lodging fees for overnight groups are $20/student for a 1-night stay with a $200 minimum. For longer stays, please contact your DBOC school programs coordinator for pricing information.
- Overnight and class fees are waived for one lead teacher as well as for one adult chaperone per 10 students. Additional adults are charged the same overnight rate as students.
- Groups may schedule their visit up to one year in advance. Availability is limited and programs are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. To register and/or for more information, contact Jessie Dockins, the DBOC school programs coordinator, at (314) 577-9539 or email@example.com.
- Overnight trips may be scheduled Tuesday-Wednesday or Thursday-Friday.